Computer Programmer jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Programmer jobs

hi, I dropped out of college back in 06 due to serious illness (required radioactive treatment), and filed BK Oct 2012 (should have a discharge within a couple weeks) because can no longer pay back the money I owe due to the same illness. anyway, I am now healthy and back in college. Should be graduating this summer or fall if everything goes well. I am a Computer Science major student, there are a lot of jobs out there for programmers, just wondering how hard it is for a programmer to get a job with recent BK. thanks very much.

I have been a programmer for over 15 years. Depending on where you live, there are a lot of jobs out there but it can be difficult straight out of college with little real world experience. I get offered and turn down positions on a regular basis, but I have been in a particular (relatively small) industry for many years, and a lot of people are familiar with my skills and/or have worked with me before. As long as you are reasonable in what you are looking for in a starting salary you should be able to find something.

Best advice I can give is to find a way to get some real world experience, anything you can put on a resume. Do you have any close friends or relatives that own a business, offer to write something to meet some need of theirs for free or very cheap (I will add the disclaimer that this is likely to end up requiring more effort to support whatever you do for them over time but if it gets you some real world experience/references it can be well worth it).

Comment

I do have some experience while I was in high school, I worked for University of Texas CS department on their Flash animations with action script. for 3 years, and I went back every summer from 01 - 03 for 3 month internship. but havn't had any experience after 03 tho. thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do. I am still worry about the credit check situation on the BK tho.

Comment

You are in a tough competitive field, as everyone that I know of is pursuing Computer Science fields, or nursing. You need to get some practical experience somehow. Being three years out of date is going to hurt you.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the BK, I have gotten to the offer stage on a number of jobs since being in BK, I have been up front with all of them about the BK, there is only one that I have run into where it was an issue.

Comment

I've done computer programming over 30 years .... back in late 90's had financial problems due to an illness my wife had ... filed chapter 7 BK in 2003 discharged in March 2004.

I only do Contract Programming:

(1) 1 year contract in 2004 for a National Cosmetic company,

(3) 3 year contract in 2005 for upgrading a State Health Insurance System.

(3) 2 year contract in 2008 for merging two major banks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X